Thursday, September 23, 2010

Exciting Work Day

I never really thought of the dangers that were present when a job is located up in the mountains. Yesterday, I learned what some of those dangers are. It started like any other work day, I got up, was at work by 7:00am and worked. I had lunch with my friend Hannah and its after lunch that my typical work day became less typical. I guess that I should step back and say that yesterday was a bit of a stormy day. It wasn't as bad as a storm that we had a month ago, but that storm combined with the dry weather we had been having in September created a bit of a problem for yesterdays storm. After everyone had started working after lunch, a couple people were asked to go see the managers. This is not a singular occurrence, so no one thought of anything until those individuals came to get their belongings and were told to immediately go home. What? We asked them why and they said that the rain had caused mudslides and the access road to work had a slide across it. Well, now everyone wanted to go home early and we were just discussing the mudslides when one of the managers came and told us that we were all going to be evacuated in groups of three. Lets just say that no one was very upset that we would have to leave work and go home. Oh darn...The manager continued to say that those who had parked close to the mountain (which just happened to be me) could go home first since they were more likely to have trouble getting out (since where their cars were located there was now a fairly strong moving current of water, mud, and small rocks). I was in one of the first groups of three to get to my car which was luckily undamaged. So, I got to go home an hour and a half early from work and i'm now waiting on word from the managers to see if I will be going in today or if it is still to dangerous. I'm hoping that it will be too dangerous so that I can have a nice day at home, we shall see. So, working up in the mountains can give you some exciting days at work, i'm just happy that no one was hurt.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Glad you got out okay! It IS nice to get off work.