Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Farewell

After a little over a year, in two weeks, I shall be saying "goodbye" to the Living Planet Aquarium. Don't worry, the departure is of my choice, not because of any economic concerns. In December of 2007, I started my career as a host (cashier, janitor, gift shop personnel) and rather quickly, was boosted up to a Guest Services Shift Manager where I have been to the present. While there, I have washed the tanks probably thousands of times, hosted many birthday parties, clean up some pretty gross stuff (I will not mention), met some amazing and funny guests, and worked with several phenomenal fellow shift managers. However, there are some times when separation is necessary to try out a different path. Here are the top ten things that I'm going to miss:

10. Jamming to music in the office
9. Helping at the Aquarium Birthday Party
8. Having a job so close to home
7. The animals
6. Some of the hosts that work under me
5. Cute kids (they get so excited to see the animals)
4. Elesha (can always make me laugh)
3. Amanda (not Amanda Nelson, my work friend Amanda)
2. Lindsay (my fellow conspirator)
1. Alessandra (a wonderful friend)

Here are some things (not in any order) that I will NOT miss:

1. The hideous blue shirts of death (they make young ladies look square)
2. Upset guests
3. Cleaning up "accidents"
4. Long lines
5. Screaming children
6. Children with temper tantrums
7. Parents who don't watch after their children
8. When guests enter the door, the exclaim "hey, it smells like fish!" (that gets old really, really fast!!!)
9. People trying to get in for free
10. Non existent communication between the departments

However much I complained about work, overall, I think that it was a good experience for me and I'm glad that I had the opportunity to work there. I'm going to miss all of the good friends that I've made, but there are just some times when you need to try a new path in life. So, to all my aquarium friends I say, Adieu!

1 comment:

Inkweaver said...

On one hand I am devastated you are leaving the aquarium; but on the other, I am happy for you to be moving on to something that can bring you greater happiness and fulfillment. You are the reason I got the job at TLPA, and I am so happy for the time we had becoming friends. But aquarium or not, you are too good a friend to loose, so you are stuck with me for life ;)