Tuesday, July 8, 2008

When does it happen?

A friend of mine posed an interesting question at work. She asked when was the turning point in our lives from childhood to adulthood. That really got me thinking, does feeling like an adult (or having to act like one) come from a result of age or does it result from an event. I feel like in my life, the turning point to a more adult-like phase was when I moved out of my house and went away to college. For the first time in my life I was truly responsible for my actions and self being. I had to buy my own food, get myself places, earn money to continue buying grocery's, and such. I think it's amazing how much you grow from having only yourself to look out for. I think another instance that helped me into adulthood was getting married and having the responsibility of another person (and adorable dog) to think about. To sum up, I think that responsibility is what shot me off into adulthood...but even if we have the responsibilities of adults, I think that many of us (hopefully including me) still have child like qualities.

1 comment:

The Queen Vee said...

George Will ,a columnist for the Washington Post, says that you don't really become an adult until you have children. I'm not trying to pressure you into having any but I have to say I agree with George.

When you have children you become truly responsible for someone else for the rest of your life and into the eternities.

You might be saying to yourself, I'm married and I'm responsible for my spouse, but it's not the same as your own child. Many people divorce spouses but one feels the responsibility of a child forever.

You really grow up fast the minute you hold your first baby and realize that they are totally dependent on you.

You're getting close but not quite an adult yet.