Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy Kris Kringle Day

Gir recieved a new chew toy from Kris Kringle
Vanessa got Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton from Kris Kringle
Chris got a new 8 GB thumb drive from Kris Kringle
Our niece Lucy celebrated her first Kris Kringle Day and got a cute monkey toy

For those of you who don't know what Kris Kringle Day is,
it is a German holiday where on the night of the 5th of December,
each family member puts 1 pair of shoes out in the hall and in the morning,
if they are good, Kris Kringle gives them a small present. If they have been
naughty, they receive coal and sticks in their shoes. I have been celebrating
this holiday for as long as I can remember (my parents picked it up to a visit to
Germany where they were visiting my aunt and uncle when they were first married)
and Chris and I have been continuing the tradition since we have been married.
It is a lot of fun, and if you don't celebrate it yet, it's never too late to start!

3 comments:

Amy said...

We do a lot of German traditions--in fact, on Friday I'm going to my grandma's to make Stollen-German fruitcake. But Kris Kringle Day is not one of the traditions we do--it sounds like a lot of fun!

Apis Melliflora said...

We celebrate every year, but we use stockings instead of shoes. It is so thoughtful of St. Nick to simply Christmas by giving our children a sneak peak into their Christmas dreams on St. Nicolas Day. My MIL was German.

Apis Melliflora said...

Simplify, not simply.