Sunday, July 10, 2011

Millcreek Canyon "Walk"

Yesterday, I wanted to take Gir up into the mountains for a nature "walk" since we don't get out of the house much these days. We had planned to go on a pretty easy hike that I know of called the pipeline trail. Its a mostly level walk which I thought would be easy for me. So, we all got into the Jeep and headed out to Millcreek Canyon which is the closest canyon where dogs are allowed, and after a beautiful drive we found the start of the trail. The only problem is that two other trails start at the same place and we accidentally took the wrong trail head (we'd only been there once)! So, we started walking and it seemed to me that the trail was a whole lot steeper than I seemed to remember, but it was so pretty that I was enjoying taking pictures and seeing the sites. The trail just kept going up and up! There were hardly any level parts or downhill parts. My poor legs were just killing me! Chris and Gir were quite a bit ahead of me (which is not unusual, i'm a fairly slow hiker) and I was going much, much slower than I normally do. We had to stop quite often for me to catch my breath and eventually I had to ask to turn around and go back. I was really tired! It was probably a good thing that we turned around when we did since it started to sprinkle and by the time we were driving back out of the canyon, it was raining quite hard. I enjoyed being out in the canyons, but our "walk" ended up being pretty intense! I'll definitely have to get back into shape after Alex comes so that we can try this hike again, knowing the difficulty.

1 comment:

Amy said...

We were up Millcreek Canyon that day, too and thought about doing that hike! (The Pipeline one...) Sounds like it was a really pretty hike even if it was a bit steep.