Thursday, October 30, 2008

The joy of carving pumpkins...

Last night, most of my family got together and carved our pumpkins. I know that we are carving a little close to Halloween this year, but this was the first time that we had all the right ingredients (pumpkins, almost all of the family, and most importantly time). Chris and I had picked up our pumpkins on Monday at a local farmer's home (if you live in the Sandy area, the Rassmussen farms have really great and inexpensive pumpkins!), but with every one's schedule, we didn't have time to sit down and carve them until yesterday. I love carving pumpkins because after we are all done scooping out the seeds, my Mom will clean them off and bake them which is one of my most favorite things about Halloween! It's also just a fun activity to do with the family and even the dogs enjoy pumpkin
carving because they sometimes get the insides of the pumpkins which they love to eat.


This year my Dad got the biggest pumpkin and ironically, he carved the smallest face onto it! I had the smallest pumpkin and instead of carving out a face, I dedicated my pumpkin to James Bond and carved a 007 on the face. Thomas made Jack Skeleton from the Nightmare Before Christmas, while Chris carved out a fearsom pirate onto his pumpkin. My Mom left hers a blank canvas but still sat around the table and had fun with us!
Well, now that are pumpkins are complete, I can't wait for Halloween when we can put them on display!

5 comments:

Amy said...

What fun! You've got us beat--we're going to have to carve ours tomorrow ON Halloween. Your dad's tiny pumpkin face is awesome.

So I hear you get to go to San Simeon for Thanksgiving. *Sigh* Jump some waves for me or something. *Grin* Lucky!

The Queen Vee said...

This was a joyful post to read. Love those pumpkin carvers and the pumpkins they carved. Clever Chris carving his sideways. Happy Halloween!

PS...did you finish your costume and where will you wear it?

Brett said...

Hey Vanessa I wasn't there with you guys to carve pumpkins so not the whole family was there.

Millertime said...

That's true Brett...sorry...I guess I should say that some of the family was there carving pumpkins yesterday. I hope that you had a chance to carve a pumpkin this year...

Nikol said...

Looks like fun! I totally forgot to carve a pumpkin this year! See you this month!